Saturday 31 December 2011

Exile's best of 2011

My top 3 albums of 2011...so fugn close but after much thought:
3/PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Wins the best production of the year too and the use of Niney The Observer's 'Blood & Fire' in 'Written On The Forehead' was simply genius...

2/Richmond Fontaine - The High Country
Willy Vlautin...read his books, hear his songs!
g
and
1/Jamie Woon - Mirrorwriting
After first coming across this Burial remix of 'Wayfaring Stranger' I didn't think that Mr Woon would let me down. This album became the soundtrack to a lot of nocturnal rambles this past year...


Song of the year:
Atari Teenage Riot - Black Flags (feat. Boots Riley)

Best cover version of the year:


Gig of the year (local):
Black Cab at Cherry
  Combat Boots (live at Cherry)

Gig of the year (international):
Omar Souleyman at Nortcote Social Club

Free gig of the year:
Sun Ra Arkestra at Fed Square

'What did we just see?' moment at a live gig
Plan B performing 'Stay Too Long' at the Big Day Out
Our collective jaws dropped at the conclusion of their set that day...

Album track of the year:
David Lynch - Strange and Unproductive Thinking

12" of the year:
Burial VS Massive Attack - Paradise Circus/Four Walls



The if I had the money I probably would have bought it artifact of the year goes to this.
Biggest disappointment gig of the year goes to the Nick Drake tribute...gawd I was bored at this gig. So fugn polite. Am I the only person who doesn't get Robyn (I'm bonkers me I yam) Hitchcock? It was so nice to see Green Gartside on stage again tho for the first time since I caught the trio Scritti#1 (with Tom and Nial) numerous times back in the late 70's...
Biggest disappointment of the year also goes to the gigs that ill health stopped me from going to (Underground Resistance/HTRK and Black Cab at The Tote)
...and how on earth did I miss this band until this year?


Pygmy of the year? Well there could only be one winner...
This one's for you Spaceboy
XXX

7 comments:

  1. Just saw your Lastfm list on tthe Chicken and I reckon you're making this list up to try and look like you're down with the kidz man! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'll just drop Can "Tago Mago 40th anniversary edition" into the best reissues of 2011 section :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2Helen/
    Yeah and I forgot to mention 'Delta Swamp' as the best compilation of the year too...
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and best roots album went to Little Axe's 'Loyalty'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Mona hun, you aren't alone re Robyn Hitchcock - the last gig me and the wife walked out of after one and a half songs was Robyn Hitchcock, Joiners Arms, Southampton, the crowd arsily trying to stop us leaving - one of those Has The Whole World Gone Fucking Crazy? moments. All best - S

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2Simon/
    Phew!
    How is you? Haven't meant to drop out of touch, just a few things been going on down here...
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete