Tuesday 31 May 2011

Lester Bangs unreleased interview with Sue Matthews (ABC) May 13 1980

Back in 1994 Stuart Coupe sent me a C-90 cassette dub which contained a rare interview with Lester Bangs. It was conducted by his friend Sue Mathews on 13th of May 1980 as part of ABC Radio Series on Music Writers. I transcribed side one of the tape, and published it in my fanzine 'Loser Friendly' (Vol 2 1995). Years later I placed the transcript on-line, later adding the audio. Since then, it has been downloaded thousands of times and linked up on several sites/blogs. In 2009, Sue Mathews contacted me and informed me the cassette copy I had was the only surviving copy. In recalling the interview, Mathews mentioned: "Lester was a great person to meet, by the way, just as you'd imagine from his writing. A very generous and thoughtful interviewee, with no ego at all. I ran into him in the post office in Chelsea (NY) a year or so later, and we had a coffee nearby - he was that kind of guy".
Audio & transcript
HERE
For Marc!
(Thanx Dray!)

No comments:

Post a Comment