Tuesday 27 April 2010

DJ Premier talks about his last meeting with Guru

With questions still remaining over details surrounding the death and final wishes of late rapper Guru last week, his former GangStarr parter DJ Premier has been discussing the final time he saw him.
As previously reported, immediately after Guru's death last Monday, his most recent producer Solar issued a statement and a letter purporting to be the rapper's final wishes, which included the desire for Solar to bring up his son KC and run his charitable organisation, and a particularly vitriolic rant against DJ Premier. However, the rapper's family say that they were not aware of any such charity being in operation, and claim that Guru had been in a coma since suffering a heart attack in February, so could not have written, or even dictated, the letter. Nor could he have issued the statement released via Solar in March assuring fans that he was recovering well.
Speaking on his Sirius Hip Hop Nation radio show, Premier recalled visiting his former collaborator in hospital once the rapper had slipped into a coma earlier this year. He recalled: "When I saw Guru it really fucked me up. I wore a GangStarr shirt first of all; just for the energy and so he knew that that's forever with us. And that includes everyone that came before me; I know every one of them... It was so ill [because] of what I was hearing of him waking up, writing, and tweeting and all that stuff. There was no way. He looked so gone".
He added that the rapper looked extremely dishevelled and, although you'd think that would be the responsibility of hospital staff, questioned how much care Solar had actually be providing: "If you love him, and you're taking care of him, why the fuck did his nails look longer than a fucking ruler? [And] a clump Afro? I've taken care of people in the hospital [before]. You can wash their hair and clean their nails off. His feet were swollen and his toenails were really disgusting... I took the logo on my shirt and rubbed it against his whole body and told him a message from me about how much I loved him, and that we were for live and still were for life. Then I kissed him on his face and let him know that I was going to miss him because it seemed like he was already gone"

Don't forget to grab DJ Premier's wonderful Guru mix

No comments:

Post a Comment