Wednesday 16 December 2009

Thank god! I thought that it was just me...

"...Sadly, the remaster is a fiasco. The soft tones of 'Computer Love' become sharp, the wide spaces of 'Home Computer' contract into tunnels and 'Pocket Calculator' bears down on us like a spiked ceiling in a horror film. Equally poor is the remaster of 'Radioactivity', where atmospheric crackles and hisses have been removed by noise reduction software. For pity's sake, they're part of the music..."
-David Cavanagh (Uncut 11/09)
(I even went so far as to get a hold of the German language versions for comparison!) 
Having said that...check this out...

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard these brand new "remastered" catalogue. I have all Kraftwerk's albums as they were released on CD (without the remastering) and some on tape and I prefer to listen the tapes than the CDs! To remaster an album is always a bad idea, but in this particular case is totally stupid because Kraftwerk always (or almost always) used analogic synths. If someone remove the hiss, is like changing analogic to digital sound...totally stupid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2EF/
    Could not agree more man. We seem to 'want' to be suckersold remasters again & again. I dragged out my vinyl to compare as the 'new' releases really do sound like shit!
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete