Monday 18 May 2009

Words by Tom McGrath (RIP)

Growing old
My jaws unfold
My face is wrinkled
Starting to crinkle
But we'll be bold
Before we're old
we'll show them what we're made of.

(From 'Laurel & hardy' 1976)

Chorus

Come walk beside me
Come take my hand and walk beside me
walk beside me till the gurgling stream
comes easing through the stones
rolling the pebbles all around and taking us down
into the further depths where coldness
laps in around our toes
splashes our ankles
but we have no regrets
we have no regrets
even though our feet are wet

(A homage to the aria of Bach's Goldberg variations 1999)

My sister in Glasgow attended Tom McGrath's funeral a couple of Fridays ago and very kindly sent me a copy of the Order of Service pamphlet.
The words above were printed on the back page.
Thanx WJN (with loveXXX)

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely. I love that "but we have no regrets, we have no regrets" A manifesto for living.

    Mo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2Mo/
    Yes he had a way with words.
    a very important man (and not just for Glasgow) but for the whole cultural clash of the sixties!
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete