Tuesday 10 March 2009

Mona 1 VS Wired 0

'Anna Matveyeva (pictured here), who received this year's prize for "best debut." She wins a next-gen mobile phone.'
via 'Wired' here.

I knew that something was up in the world of Miss Atom by virtue of the fact that in the space of a couple of hours yesterday I had over 500 hits from Germany alone to my previous post here.
Google took me to the 'Wired' blog and I thought looking at the photo above that a worthy winner had been found. Reading the article made me realise that the photo was not of the winner.
So who had won?
The article originally said the winner was Yelena Bulgakov and there was a photo of the winner at the official Miss Atom site here, but even with my limited knowledge of Cyrillic characters I knew that Екатерина didn't translate as Yelena. Further investigation took me to 'Der Spiegel' online here and one of the contestant's photos was clearly of the winner and there was the name Ekaterina.
A comment was left at 'Wired' and they have now changed the winner's name accordingly!

UPDATE:11/03/09
They still haven't spelled her name right. It's not "Yekaterina"!

"Boris. Why is always Boris?"
(The Wire)

No comments:

Post a Comment